Stampin' Up! promotions  Tutorials      Join my Stampin' Up! Team      My contact details
                        Published work      Team Forum

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

You're not the emBoss of me!

I've recently been playing around with my heat gun...Don't we all have moments when we point them at our hubbies/partners/passing postmen and yell "Your money or the family jewels get it"? But I'm not talking about that sort of playing. I mean, actually trying to use it for what manufacturers intended - which is heat embossing, of course!

I use the term "trying" in two senses of the word...as in I tried and it was trying. I tried a layer of black UTEE on cardstock after stamping with one of the Mostly Flowers stamp set in VersaMark. When I set the heat gun on it, the UTEE bits started blowing away. The strange thing is you would think that I would turn the heat gun off at this point. But, no. Twenty seconds later, black UTEE all over my work surface, the carpet, on my new pale pink OTT-lite, in my hair, on my hubby (as he reminded me in the comments) and surprisingly very little on the cardstock. I suppose it's not THAT surprising when I take into account how much of the UTEE actually escaped.

The next experiment was with white embossing powder (EP) on dark cardstock. How hard could it be? The first layer was easy... a little patchy but nothing that another layer wouldn't fix. Pour more EP, tap, tap the card and ... tap tap ... tap tap tap TAP. Ack! Time to get out a brush and painstakingly sweep stray grains of EP away. Twenty minutes later. Blast with the gun and bemoan the appearance of black specks of UTEE in what should have been a perfectly white shiny product. Waaaaaaah! *sniffle*

Since the embossing was resisting my best efforts, I decided to try out an emboss resist. Hah! You're not the boss of me, EP!
Emboss resist up close
Stampin' Supplies
Ink:
Cameo Coral
Summer Sun
VersaMark

Stamps:
Artfully Asian set
Itty Bitty Backgrounds set
Mostly Flowers set

Completed card - but you can't see the embossing!Cardstock:
Cameo Coral
Summer Sun
Whisper White

Accessories:
Clear Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
Sponge Daubers
Whisper White Grosgrain
White Embossing Powder

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's the emBoss of me - threatening me with that heat gun - blowing UTEE bits all over her husband while he's watching TV.

Lin Mei said...

Yes, well, sweetie, who asked you to watch TV with your head on my work table? As for the threats, every crafty woman does it - it's in the WoManual.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work Lin Mei! Great colour combo too! :) K

OohLookBel said...

Your project turned out really well considering it was a DRP (disaster recovery, etc)! I haven't heat embossed in ages; your post has me wanting to give the old heat gun a whirl (look out, cat).

Lin Mei said...

Thanks muchly, Kari :) I ordered a roll of Regal Rose (your colour of the month) Grosgrain Ribbon yesterday so I'll have to stop myself from shamelessly copying your adorable card.

Lin Mei said...

Hey Belle! Thanks *grin* But I have to say that not very much was recovered (waste bin is FULL). Imagine the DR site being bombed.
Good thing Tabby doesn't have any jewels but she might get a new hairdo!