Stampin' Up! promotions  Tutorials      Join my Stampin' Up! Team      My contact details
                        Published work      Team Forum

Monday, April 28, 2008

Patterned paper week

I love patterned paper and I'm choosing this week to feature it! More specifically, I'll be posting various ways of making your own and then using the paper in a project. That's like creativity squared ... or something. This is also a precursor to an upcoming May Stampin' Up! promotion but I'm going to stay quiet until then. Bribes may be considered, however ...

First up is the patterned paper you can create by stamping freehand. Choose your favourite stamp set and go for it on a blank piece of paper.

Tips
1. Make sure that you stamp over the edges of your paper so that the pattern doesn't look cramped (and the edges bald).
2. If you are stamping twice after inking once, be careful when you stamp off the edge on the first impression. You may find that the second impression has a darker patch of ink where the stamp met the edge of the paper on the first press.
3. Consider using contrived chaos. In other words, don't stamp with complete abandon - just look like you did. Stamp in clusters (such as in threes) and be careful with overlapping images as, while sometimes it can look good, other times it looks messy.

Stampin' Supplies
Ink:
Old Olive
Ruby Red
Whisper White Craft

Stamps:
Bud Basics set

Cardstock:
Kraft

Accessories:
White Gel Pen


I found that the white craft ink didn't give me the shock of white that I wanted so I traced over the outlines with a white gel pen.

I'll post a project using this patterned cardstock tomorrow. But, in the meanwhile, have a squizz at Kari's bold and beautiful cards and Kylie's gorgeous offering - I reckon my patterned cardstock gives a similar feel to the Designer Series Paper that they used so well. Of course, the DSP is much more refined...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks Lin Mei!! Thanks! Love your paper though! Methinks I will have to add Bud Basics to my wishlist!!!
:)Kari

Lin Mei said...

Thanks Kari! Now that I have your card and Kylie's card in my mind, it is really difficult to come up with something new...

Anonymous said...

LOL....Kari and I are famous!!
I soooooo LOVE your paper! The stamps and the colours are just beautiful. Well done!
K-xxx

Lin Mei said...

Hi Kylie! Thanks for visiting. Yes indeedy! The two of you ARE famous ... I am just a fan.

One Klassy Chick said...

WOW, this is just gorgeous! After seeing this post I just HAD to have a go and I see what you mean about the white not being quite white enough... I did a second sheet and embossed the outline stamps with white ep. Takes a little longer but worth the effort! Thanks for sharing, I LOVE this :)

Lin Mei said...

Welcome to my blog, Sarah! I'm thrilled that you've found something of value here and thank you for the tip of using embossing powder as an alternative.

Carol Dunstan said...

This has come up great :-D